Friday 5 May 2017

Floral Wishes Distress Oxide Vs Distress Ink :D


Another video using the wonderful Floral Wishes freebie from issue 146 of Papercraft Essentials :D I decided to try an apples to apples comparison on my Distress Oxide and Distress Inks, so in this video I create two identical cards using the two different types of Distress :D

I used Ink Blending and I also blended through a stencil too, I think I'll also do a video similar to this using the wrinkle free distress technique too, as when using them like this there isn't really that much variation between the two types!! I'd say the Oxides are more vibrant, but that's to be expected as they're a pigment hybrid, and they also cover more of the previous layer (i.e. the stenciling is more prominent) but again you'd expect that because of the pigment element :D I didn't find them any easier to blend (like a lot of people are saying...) but I've never had any difficulty blending my Distress Inks anyway :D You do notice the 'oxidation' effect (still bugs me that it's called oxidation/oxide, as there's not really that chemical reaction going on lol, there's no loss of electrons etc... lol but I suppose it's just a fun way of describing it :D) with the Oxides when watercolouring with them, they definitely give a more opaque finish (as you can see by the black outlines being covered a bit) but overall I'm really pleased with both results :D I can't wait to do some more experimenting :D Hope you enjoy the video :D

Main products used:
Papercraft Essentials Issue 146 - Floral Wishes 
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Inks
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Oxides 
Tonic Studios Scalloped Circles Layering Dies
Ranger Mini Ink Blending Tool
Replacement Foams
Ranger Archival Jet Black Ink
VersaFine Onyx Black Ink
That Special Touch Masks
Tonic Studios Nuvo Crystal Drops - Dandelion
Paintbrush and water

To see the process behind this pair of cards, please watch my YouTube video below, or over on my channel CRaFTi PoTeNTiAl :D



Lots more photos below :D 


The card to the left is using Distress Oxides and the card to the right is using Distress Inks :D both with a transition from Fossilizes Amber to Cracked Pistachio to Broken China :D