Friday 9 December 2016

Christmas Greetings Poinsettia :D


A more traditional Christmas card for a change using the versatile Multi-Tag Tonic Die set free with issue 18 of Die-Cutting Essentials :D I also used a few stamps (the poinsettia leaves, the sentiment and the tiny snowflakes) from the Traditional Christmas stamp set free with a past issue of Creative Stamping, issue 35 :D I thought that the largest die in this Tonic set would be fabulous for embossing/impressing into the card (you could also ink it up first so that its more visible too, but I like the subtle effect :D) and it does :D Especially with that piercing detail :D You can get this cool affect with any die, all you do is run it through your machine in your emboss sandwich, without cutting it first, then it will just give you the impression :D For the Cuttlebug, I used the A Plate, two B Plates, the Spellbinders Junior Tan Mat and a couple of shims of printer paper, and that works great :D

While making this card this morning, I also discovered another technique, stamping with sparkle pens!! :D I didn't think this would be possible, but if you squish some ink out onto your glass cutting mat, and then pick it up with a piece of cut n dry foam, you can ink up your stamp, and it actually works pretty well too :D In person the sparkle comes across as well as the colour :D So I did this diagonally across the background using some tiny snowflake stamps from the Traditional Christmas stamp set, along with some splashes of the gold metallic sparkle pen too :D

For my focal poinsettia image, I used the poinsettia stamp from the Traditional Christmas stamp set, however I used it only as leaves (I know technically a poinsettia is entirely leaves lol but you know what I mean), and then I used another poinsettia stamp (from a Penny Black stamp set, I'm sure this came free on a magazine too, but I can't for the life of me remember which one, as it was quite some time ago lol) and I coloured that one all in red to be the actual poinsettia :D I watercoloured both images using Distress Inks, Lucky Clover, Pine Needles, Brushed Corduroy, Candied Apple and Aged Mahogany :D and I also added in some hints of red and green sparkle pens, and some of the gold for the centre :D To enhance the centre of the flower, I added a dollop of cosmic shimmer glue and some yellow seed beads :D I finished the card with a sentiment strip backed with some gold glitter card, and a scattering of gold star sequins :D Hope you liked this more traditional Christmas card :D

To see the process behind this card, please watch my YouTube video below, or over on my channel CRaFTi PoTeNTiAl :D



If you'd like to see more cards I've made using Magazine Freebies, have a look at my Playlist :D



And If you're looking for some Christmas card inspiration there's loads of cards in my Christmas cards 2016 Playlist too :D



 Loads more photos :D