Saturday 22 October 2016

Happee Birthdae Golden Snitch :D


A fun Harry Potter themed card using a holly stamp to create a snitch!! As soon as I saw the little holly stamp which is in the Festive Elegance free gift from issue 139 of Papercraft Essentials I knew I wanted to make it into a snitch :D And to make this card even more Harry Potter inspired I spelt the sentiment like Hagrid did on Harry's Birthday cake in the Philosophers Stone :D

I started by stamping the little double holly leaf stamp all over my panel of white card using Antique Linen Distress Ink, and then I added an outline, roughly following the shape of the holly, but smoothing the edges to give a stylised snitch look (you can always google an image of a golden snitch if you want this to be more accurate, but I just drew mine from memory :D) Once I had added an outline to each snitch, I then used my silver and gold metallic sparkle pens to colour them in, which I thought worked perfectly for the colour of a snitch :D and this is why I used Distress Ink for the original stamping, as its water reactive so it basically disappears when you add the sparkle pen over the top, and for the silver on the wings I did actually just use a normal paint brush with a bit of water to dilute the sparkle pen too :D

To finish the card, I used a Lawn Fawn alphabet stamp set to add my 'Happy Birthday' greeting, but I spelt it like Hagrid did on Harry's Cake in the film just as an extra quirky feature that only a true Harry Potter fan would pick up on lol :D and I stamped this onto a white circle of card... I then drew a bigger snitch (you could print an image off of the internet and trace it if you're not confident enough to draw one yourself, but I always think if I've drawn it in pencil first then there's no waste if I go wrong or don't like it, so I might as well just go for it :D) Hope you like the cards!! I really do hope that someone else saw a snitch by looking at that holly stamp lol, or maybe I'm just seeing things lol :D

To see the process behind this pair of cards, and how I turned a holly stamp into a golden snitch, please watch my YouTube video below, or over on my channel CRaFTi PoTeNTiAl :D



Plenty more photos below :D