Sunday 31 July 2016

Shine Bright :D


A Shimmery encouragement card made using the Hot-Air Balloon Die (as an aperture to make a light bulb) from issue 136 of Papercraft Essentials :D I chose to use the sentiment 'Shine Bright' for this card, but 'Who's a Bright Spark' would work brilliantly too :D

This was a fairly simple card to create, I started by choosing my background, and I decided on using this yellow patterned vellum with gold foiling from the Neon Geometric Capsule Collection from Docrafts (I've been wanting to use some of the vellum from the Ultimate Die-cut pack for ages, and I thought it would work perfectly here :D) I then cut my main panel from some white card, and used the Hot-Air Balloon die to cut an aperture (as soon as I saw this die, I thought 'I could use that outline as a light bulb!' I like doodling light bulbs so that's probably why it popped into my head :D) I also cut a mat for this rectangle that's just a tiny bit bigger from some grey card to tie the grey from the light bulb in with the rest of the card. To get your light bulb image, place a piece of plain white card behind your aperture and use a fine black pen to scribbly draw in your outline (I find the scribbly effect much easier to achieve :D) and for the filament of the bulb, you could either just leave it simple like I have, or you could even write a scripty word in it :D ...

To colour in my drawn light bulb I used Scattered Straw, Mustard Seed and Hickory Smoke Distress Inks and just lightly blended them onto the card, I also added some Clear Sparkle Pen, however as Distress is water based it did pull the colour up a bit, but if this happens just squish some of the Distress Ink onto a pallet and pick it up with the sparkle pen :D :D I could have made this a shaker card (but I seem to be a little bit obsessed with them lately lol) so I just added some acetate (to give the effect of glass) but didn't add any shaker elements :D I cut the 'Shine' part of the sentiment from some gold mirri card using the Apple Blossom uppercase and lowercase alphabet dies (I got the uppercase version free with a special issue of Die-Cutting Essentials) and the 'Bright' part of the sentiment was from a Christmassy Apple Blossom stamp set :D The final finishing touches were then a few stars, also cut from the same gold mirri, and I tried to strategically place them to cover up most of the notches that are present on the aperture of the balloon too, now it looks like I used a die that was meant to be a light bulb! (I used gold mirri for this card so that it would tie in with the gold foiling on the background vellum :D) Hope you like it :D

To see the process behind this card, please watch my YouTube video below or on my channel :D



A few close up photos below :D 



Hope you liked the card and the video! If you have any questions please leave them in the comments below :D Thank you!! :D